Between 1881 and 1943, four dams were built on the Santa Fe River: Stone Dam and Two-Mile within the area considered in this report for restoration, and Nichols and McClure upstream.
The first, Stone Dam, impounded 25 acre-feet. It filled with sediment in a single storm in 1904, and never again stored water. Two-Mile Dam (named for its distance from the plaza) was constructed in 1893 and stored 387 acre-feet. It was decommissioned and breached in 1994 due to safety concerns.